Thursday, March 6, 2008

Null and Void!! Walgreens Rebates on Green Dot Mastercard can make you money


Update 3/7/08:

Null and Void!!! Don't listen to me!!! This is why I made the rule I wouldn't post until I actually worked through a whole process, see the benefit and then relay it on to you. And see what happens? I get all excited and decide to post the day before I go to try a method out...and it doesn't work! Lesson learned for me.

Basically, the problem is that you need to load with cash. So, no extra 6% for me. I tried! They said I needed cash, and I said, "What? What is cash? I have never seen it before! " OK, just kidding, I know what cash is...but in all honesty, I haven't had any in my wallet in a long time. :-)

And, a big thanks to the person who posted a comment to alert me to the issue...I wish I would have read the comment before I headed out to the store today. At least I got free soap! :-)

Walgreens has a great rebate this week! They are giving you the full activiation fee of $9.95. Which means, you can go to Walgreens, get a card and load it. Does anyone see where I am going here?

If not, let me spell it out. If you jumped on the deal to get the Citi Drivers Edge Credit card I had posted here over the last couple of weeks, you know that you get 6% back at Drugstores ( also Gas and Groceries ). So, once I load this card..I get 6% back on it ( since it is through Walgreens )

Meaning, I just went through last two month's spending, averaged it out and am loading that much on the card. Then, going forward, we will put all other purchases for the month on this Green Dot card and get another 6% back. So, everytime we go out to eat, shop at a retail store, get a haircut, pay a doctor bill, buy anything really, ( oohhh...my coffee, too ) we are getting 6% now. I am SOOO excited!

What kind of impact will this be to us? I'll keep you posted, but I have a feeling I will make my $1,000 yearly cash back allowed on the Citi Drivers Edge card now!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told when purchasing this card it had to be loaded using cash.

Carrie @ Moneysavingmethods.com said...

You are absolutely correct. I was just getting ready to alter this post, as I went to Walgreens today...ALL EXCITED, and the check out lady could not figure out why she couldn't ring me out. It was SOOO funny! She must have tried at least 5 times. I finally suggested maybe it needed cash, as it dawned on me then ( I knew my cc was good ). And, indeed that was the problem.
Thanks for the heads up!

 
Photobucket