Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Free Turbo Tax Software!!


TurboTax - Do your Taxes for Free - It's Easy


This post is for you, Meggy, my dear!!

My 20-something sister-in-law ( aaahhh...to be young again ) emailed me yesterday to ask about getting her taxes done. Meghan, whom we are all so proud of, graduated with her Masters and took her first professional job this year as a school counselor! Go, Meggy, Go!

Plus, she got her first apartment on her own ( no roomie, etc ). To top it off...the icing on the cake for me is that she keeps my 4 year old daughter over for Girls Nights with her other nieces. Ella talks about nothing else except her Aunt Meggy's cool house and spending the night, doing their nails, and well, trying on ALL Aunt Meghan's very ultra hip shoes. Poor girl! Her frugal mommy only has a few pairs of shoes, and nothing as spectacular as her Aunt's!

Anyway, to help Meghan, we worked on a budget, got her cheap cable ( hey, Meg...have you called to get it lowered yet? ), and now she wants help doing her taxes. She was quoted $80! I said, no way! Her forms should be fairly easy and straightforward, considering she doesn't own a home and is just starting out.

So, I informed her I would do this post specifically for her. But, in all actuality, it is for all of us, to0.

Turbo Tax is once again offering their Free software to everyone. Click here to take advantage! This, of course, will not cover all options. If you have complicated tax forms, etc, it will let you know that you need to upgrade. But, it is worth a shot to see if you can get by with the Free Software.

Plus, it has free e-file for all levels this year! That is even better. I have noticed alot more companies are offering this service for $0 this year! And, when you e-file, you can get your refund in approx. 8 days. Wonderful!

Anyway, I wanted to give you the break down for all the options that Turbo Tax has, and you will see...they are all valued at less than $80, which was what Meg was quoted for simple forms.

Turbo Tax Free Addition - FREE

Turbo Tax Deluxe Addition - $29.95

  • Own a home
  • Made donations
  • Medical Expenses
  • Free e-file
  • Click here

Turbo Tax Premier Addition - $49.95

  • Own Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Rental Property
  • Free e-file
  • Click here

Turbo Tax Home & Business - $74.95

  • Sole Proprietor
  • Consultant
  • Contractor
  • Single Owner, LLC
  • Free e-file
  • Click here

A word of advice for past years. Even though I think I may be in the Premier section, I start my process in the free version and it has always prompted me if I needed to upgrade during the process. This way, if there is a slight chance it can be done without paying for the higher version, then I want to try!!

I am going to assume, it will prompt you again this year, too. Give it a try!

I will be posting the link to the Free Turbo Tax ( which will also lead to all these other versions ) on the front page of my blog and in my feed.

So, come back anytime to take advantage of this great freebie!

And, Happy Tax season everyone!! And, Meg, if you need help...give me a call!

3 comments:

alyssa said...

Hi Carrie! Do you know if signing up for the Sharebuilder stocks will "push" me up to the Premier addition of Turbo Tax? It says you need Premier if you own stocks. And I guess technically after signing up with Sharebuilder I'm a stock owner now :)

Thanks for the help!
Alyssa

Carrie @ Moneysavingmethods.com said...

Alyssa,

If you haven't sold it, then you shouldn't.

Usually, you are only filing on Capital Gains or Losses. But, if you have not sold, you don't have gains/losses yet.

This is why I always suggest you start with the smallest package and let them tell you to move up.

Someone might assume they need the premier, but may not...just because you own stocks doesn't mean you necessarily need that verions. Tricky, aren't they?

alyssa said...

Thanks Carrie! You're so smart ;)

 
Photobucket