Thursday, January 24, 2008

$50 Worth of Items for 5 Cents at Walgreens!!!

First of all, I would like to start out by telling you about another great site I have found that is FREE and helps you save tons of money shopping for household items. It is http://www.moneysavingmom.com/. I check the site frequently, or you can be added to her newsletter to get updates. But, either way, the information is priceless. She puts a list together for Walgreens and CVS weekly ( based on coupons, their sales, rebates and their extra cash back offers ). Her philosophy is basically that you only buy from their stores if you can get the items free or next to nothing. It is great! So, based on that, I followed her advice and went to Walgreens today and walked out of the store paying 5 cents for almost $50 worth of merchandise!


So, going forward, my advice in writing this article? Check her site AT LEAST weekly, if not more. Just like you use the grocery game, you should also be using her Walgreens and CVS lists to get even more free groceries and items for your family. I will put an example below of how I am saving!
Here is what is going on. Walgreens Jane and Jane Mineral Make up is Buy One Get One Free. There are many items that are $3.99 or less. So, I stuck to primarily those. Then, if you click here you can get a $2.00 of one item coupon. This can be printed multiple times. But, beware...many of us print the coupon fine except for the bar code. As long as the numbers show ( even if the lines don't ), Walgreens will still take it and manually type the coupon in!! So, don't fret!

So, here is an example...I would buy 2 items at $3.99 each. I would get one free. So, the total is $3.99 for 2 items. I then use 2 $2.00 off coupons and I made a penny! Yes, that is what I said..I made a penny! I printed 10 coupons and got 10 make up items! Here is my breakdown.
Liquid Eyeliner ( $3.49 ) $2.00 off coupon, so I paid $1.49
Eyeshadow ( $3.49 ) Free plus $2.00 off coupon, so I made $2.00
Powder ( $3.79 ) $2.00 off coupon, so I paid $1.79
Concealer ( $3.79 ) Free plus $2.00 off coupon, so I made $2.00
Lipgloss ( $4.99 ) $2.00 off coupon, so I paid $2.99
Lipstick ( $4.49 ) Free plus $2.00 off coupon, so I made $2.00
Mascara ( $3.99 )$2.00 off coupon, so I paid $1.99
Pencil Liner ( $3.99 ) Free plus $2.00 off coupon, so I made $2.00
Foundation ( $3.79 ) $2.00 off coupon, so I paid $1.79
Loose Powder ( 3.79 ) Free plus $2.00 off coupon, so I made $2.00

Grand total??? I needed to pay $10.05, but Walgreens needed to pay me $10.00! So, the difference was 5 cents!! That is correct!! I got $41 worth of make up for 5 cents! And, I am going to print more coupons and go back for more tomorrow. Here is a little advice, try to buy at least one or two items that will put you slightly over your coupons. If your coupons ring up more than your total owed, it could cause problems with the register ( as they would never actually pay you cold hard cash to walk out of the store ). That is why I went 5 cents over.

The other piece of advice I have? Check out at the make up counter, if you can. I have heard ( not sure if it is true ), that the make up cashier gets some type of incentive if customers check out from their counter. Again, this is just heresay, but just in case it is true...I figured I mind as well give someone a benefit for my purchase. Also, they gave me a free gift bag for checking out at their counter. It was FULL of samples of lotions, eye creams, facial cleaners, etc. And, it came is a pretty little gift bag! So, extra bonus!!!!

Finally, I also got a tube of Aquafresh toothpaste free. It was on sale for $2.00 and if you click here, you can get a $2.00 off coupon. Love my freebies!

So, my grand total was 5 cents plus $1.38 in tax ( have to pay the government ) :-). Then, I paid with my Drivers Edge Credit Card and got another 6% for shopping at a Drugstore. If you don't have this card, it is great. You get 6% back at gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores. I am not sure if Citi is still offering it, but click here to check. If not, scroll through and find a card that is right for you. Or, read my previous article to get my advice on the importance and how to find a good card for you.

So, I got another 9 cents ( woo, hoo ) back and my final total was.....drumroll please...........$1.35!!!!!!!

So, if that hasn't convinced you to start shopping Walgreens and CVS with http://www.moneysavingmom.com/, then I don't think anything will!!

Have fun, and run to the store soon to get this great deal, too!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to my Walgreens to do what you did. However, they wouldn't give me the $2.00 off the "free Items." I still saved $42 and paid $14 (I bought toothpast and some other items as well.) I was irritated that I couldn't get $2.00 onthe free stuff though!

 
Photobucket